: This training program combines a two course training track:
•Legal Secretary (a prerequisite of Legal Transcription)
Legal transcription has come into the public view recently being recognized for its efficient and professional influence on legal records and is steadily becoming a popular trend in the legal field. Legal Transcriptionists use verbatim methods to store, recover, and record legal information, and pre-trail and trial proceedings. They use prerecorded information, and written material to compile reports. Legal transcriptionists transcribe material that has been dictated or recorded in courtrooms, closed hearings, law offices, or through personal interviews. They accurately document all testimony, pleadings, interrogations, meeting minutes, and hearings.
This Legal Transcription course teaches the most current practices for transcribing and revising any legal document with correct formatting, punctuation, and spelling.
• Formatting and terminology skills using illustrations of legal documents.
• Real-world projects dictated on accompanying CD using both national and international accents and dialects.
• Discussion of legal office procedures related to legal transcription activities.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
• Type quickly and correctly
• Identify the transcription format for civil litigation
• Identify the transcription format for probates
• Identify the transcription format for family law
• Identify the transcription format for legal instruments
• Identify the transcription format for bankruptcy and the appellate procedureInstructor Description
: This class supported by an Educational Mentor. Our educational mentors have worked or are working in the subject they mentor. Educational Mentors reviews student work, student progress, and interacts with students as needed. They respond to any questions or concerns you might have, as well as encouraging and motivating you to succeed.Certification
: Upon successful completion of our Legal Transcription course, students will be prepared for an entry-level position as a Legal Transcriptionist and will be prepared, in part, for the AAERT national certification exam to become a Certified Electronic Transcriber (CET).
• Broadband or high-speed internet access is required. Broadband includes DSL, cable, and wireless connections.
• Dial-Up internet connections will result in a diminished online experience. Moodle pages may load slowly and viewing large audio and video files may not be possible.
• Windows hardware configurations and processors are acceptable
• Mac computers MUST have Microsoft Window Operating Systems over Bootcamp (Bootcamp is a free download from Apple''s website)
• 1 GB RAM minimum recommended
• Operating Systems
-Windows XP, Vista or 7 and Mac OS X 10 or higher with Windows
• Web Browsers
-Google Chrome is highly recommended
-Internet Explorer is not recommended as it may not display certain menus and links
• Cookies MUST be enabled
• Pop-ups MUST be allowed (Pop-up Blocker disabled)
• Kindle Reader App
• Adobe PDF Reader
• Media Plug-ins (These may be required depending on your course media.)
• Adobe Flash Player
• Adobe Acrobat Reader, Apple Quicktime, Windows Media Player, &/or Real Player
• PowerPoint Viewer
The following textbooks will be provided to each student upon registration:
• Basic Manual for the Lawyer’s Assistant by NALS
• Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 18 Software
• Legal Transcription (with CD-ROMs) by Linda R. Lyle and G. Howard Doty
• Digital Transcription Equipment: Headset, Foot Pedal and Software