: Direct Support Professionals provide care for individuals with developmental and or physical disabilities in a number of settings including group homes, day programs, home & community based services, and vocational rehabilitation. Students will learn methods for providing assistance with living skills development, health maintenance, medication administration, personal care, and behavioral development. This course will teach current and future Direct Support Professionals methods for developing individuals’ basic living and social skills with the primary goal of integrating them into the community to the best of their ability. This course is designed for entry-level Direct Support Professionals.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
• Identify the role of the Direct Support Professional
• Identify methods for supporting activities of daily living
• Identify methods for empowering clients and providing the care they prefer
• Comprehend the importance of supporting community inclusion as much as possible
• Identify methods for providing care to support clients’ physical and mental healthInstructor Description
: This class supported by an Educational Mentor. Our educational mentors have worked or are working in the subject they mentor. Educational Mentors reviews student work, student progress, and interacts with students as needed. They respond to any questions or concerns you might have, as well as encouraging and motivating you to succeed.
• Broadband or high-speed internet access is required. Broadband includes DSL, cable, and wireless connections.
• Dial-Up internet connections will result in a diminished online experience. Moodle pages may load slowly and viewing large audio and video files may not be possible.
• Windows hardware configurations and processors are acceptable
• Mac computers MUST have Microsoft Window Operating Systems over Bootcamp (Bootcamp is a free download from Apple''s website)
• 1 GB RAM minimum recommended
• Operating Systems
-Windows XP, Vista or 7 and Mac OS X 10 or higher with Windows
• Web Browsers
-Google Chrome is highly recommended
-Internet Explorer is not recommended as it may not display certain menus and links
• Cookies MUST be enabled
• Pop-ups MUST be allowed (Pop-up Blocker disabled)
• Kindle Reader App
• Adobe PDF Reader
• Media Plug-ins (These may be required depending on your course media.)
• Adobe Flash Player
• Adobe Acrobat Reader, Apple Quicktime, Windows Media Player, &/or Real Player
• PowerPoint Viewer